5 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
2 cups peeled, cubed tomatoes, preferably fresh, about 1 pound whole
1/2 cup dry white wine
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried, crumbled oregano
1 1/2 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp, about 48
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1/3 pound rigatoni, ziti, spirals, and so on
1/2 pound crumbled feta cheese
1.Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet and add the garlic. Cook briefly, stirring, and add the tomatoes. Cook about 1 minute and add the wine, salt, and pepper. Add the basil and oregano.
2. Cook over moderate heat about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the last tail segment on. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in large skillet and add the shrimp. Cook quickly, about 1 minute, just until shrimp turn red. Stir as they cook. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
6. Spoon the shrimp and any pan juices into a small baking dish. Sprinkle the shrimp with the crumbled feta cheese and spoon the tomato sauce over. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake 10 minutes until piping hot.
7. Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni according to taste and drain. Do not over-cook. Serve the hot rigatoni with the shrimp mixture spooned over.
~Pierre Franey, “60-Minute Gourmet”