Prep time: 5 mins. Total time: 25 mins. Serves: 6 Yields: 10 cups
1/3 cup pistachio nut, peeled
1 lb thin asparagus, cut into thirds
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
1 lb dry penne pasta
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. Cook the asparagus in a stockpot in boiling salted water, uncovered, over medium high heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the asparagus, saving the water so the pasta can be prepared in the same pot.
2. Sauté garlic in butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, start cooking the pasta, according to package directions.
4. Add the asparagus and pepper.
5. Increase heat to high and pour in the wine, stirring for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium.
6. Pour the half-and-half and the cream over asparagus mixture and simmer for two minutes.
7. Season with salt.
8. When pasta is done, drain and return to pot.
9. Combine asparagus sauce with pasta, stirring over medium heat.
10. Add cheese, stirring until it melts, transfer to platter.